Saturday, April 26, 2008

Pumping Iron

Well its been a really good week so far. I am pretty dang tired today due to the fact that i was up walking around at Magic Mountain until midnight yesterday. Every year Sara's Dad gets the chance to buy $20 tickets to the park and from 7pm to midnight or so several companies get full access to all the rides and also a picnic is included. This year Sara and I took 3 of her younger siblings--Jason, 16--Brianna, 12--and Andrew 10. The part that we look forward to the most is the company picnic where in a back patio area in MM they have a buffet and a bunch of games and raffles for everyone to enjoy. It was a serious temptation to grab a bunch of fried chicken and a couple hot dogs and stuff myself. But i stayed true to my weight watchers points (the system turns all food items into a points value that can be tracked) and by the end of the night i felt weak, but happy.

Well the work all week payed off. Today at my weight watchers meeting i weighed in 6 pound lighter than last week. Several factors attribute to the first week's loss being higher than most weeks--including loss of water weight and shocking your body with a total change in caloric intake and calories. But i drank tons of water yesterday so the water weight couldn't have caused that much. Either way I am very happy and motivated to keep going. While I am on the subject of weighing in, its funny to look at some of the strategies i have used in the past to fool myself into thinking i was losing more. Back when i did the program before, if i would have a bad week i would try everything in my power to make that scale say less than it did before. I would pee before i went and pee right before weighing. I would sometimes drink like no water the day before or the day of to make sure that as much water from my liver and organs had been expelled. I would wear the lightest clothes that i could possibly find--i remember not wearing underwear one time! How ridiculous is that? Ironically it would put me just below where i was the week before, so that when i came in next time actually following the plan and wearing normal clothes (and underwear) i would actually be up again. So i told myself this time that i would play no games--that i would do the same thing every week and take what i get. Admitting to this kinda stuff actually makes me feel a lot better.

Yesterday I watched the docudrama "Pumping Iron", with Arnold Schwarzenegger on Youtube. I had always wanted to watch it but never got around to it. Something always fascinated me about bodybuilding--especially when i was working out more. To see these people so obsessed with their bodies. I guess I'm pretty obsessed too. In the end i just wanna be healthy and right now i don't feel healthy. I thought i would end with my favorite clip from the movie, its called "the pump".

1 comment:

Melissa C. said...

Good job on the 6 pounds, Matt! I'm glad you're blogging! Fun!